On the ALH engine the injection pump timing is measured using a scan-tool, like a VCDS tool.
- Turn on the vehicle and open VCDS
- Click on 01-Engine
- Click on 04-Basic Settings
- In the group field, enter “00” and “GO” button
- A new window with a graph will appear
- Select the Mk4 ALH Engine in the drop down on the bottom right
- Read the graph to determine your timing:
- The two yellow lines on the X & Y axis meet at the timing point you need to read (in the graph above the timing is advanced beyond the cart)
- That point should be between the Red & Green lines. Closer to the green line is advanced, closer to the red line is retarded. The blue line denotes “perfect” timing.
- We recommend slightly advanced timing for better fuel economy and reduced smoke.
- Be sure to close VCDS fully before turning off the vehicle.
If the timing needs to be adjusted, you can follow our Adjusting ALH Injection Pump Timing guide here.
[…] check your ALH injection pump timing to determine if you need to advance or retard the […]