In this video Corey from IDParts.com replaces the alternator on a Mk4 Jetta TDI with the ALH engine. This will be the same procedure on a Mk4 Golf TDI and New Beetle TDI with ALH engines, though the New Beetle will have less room and may require more disassembly.
- Disconnect battery from car. This is the first step whenever performing electrical work on your car.
- Remove engine cover
- Remove upper intercooler pipe
- Remove lower belly pan and passenger side skirt
- Remove serpentine belt
- Remove Large Cooling fan.
- Remove A/C compressor from bracket. Do not disconnect A/C lines.
- Remove serpentine belt tensioner.
- Remove Alternator and disconnect wiring harness.