Replacing Liberty CRD MAP Sensor

How to replace the MAP sensor on your Jeep Liberty CRD.

More Articles on Liberty CRD:

Etecno vs. Bosch Glow Plugs for Jeep Liberty CRD


Hi, I’m Corey from Today I’m going to change the map sensor on a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD. Map—that’s MAP not MAF—stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure. In other words, the MAP sensor monitors turbocharger boost pressure. Over time, the MAP sensor can become clogged with an oily film. This film is from a buildup of oil vapor from the crank case vent and soot from the EGR system. When the sensor is clogged, it will not be able to read properly. This will cause the truck to have lower boost pressure and not perform properly.

Thankfully, this is an easy job. All you will need is a set of allen keys and about five minutes.

First, we’ll need to remove the engine cover. Second, you’ll need to pull up on the wiring harness that is secured to valve cover. With that out of the way, you can locate the MAP sensor at the back of the engine bay near the back of the valve cover. We’ll use our allen key to remove the bolt holding it in. With the bolt out, we can gently pry the sensor up and out.

This is the MAP sensor that we took out the car, and it’s actually in very good condition. This is because on this jeep we have a green diesel engineering tune which reconfigures the EGR system and limits the amount of clogging.

The new sensor looks exactly the same. Putting in the new one is just the reverse of taking the old one out. Press the MAP sensor into place and screw in the bolt with an allen wrench. It doesn’t need to be very tight—there’s an o-ring that does the sealing so overtightening the bolt will just cause it to break.


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: